The government has scrapped its proposal to raise the amount payable to file a divorce petition from £410 to £750 following a consultation.
The proposal was highly criticised by respondents to the consultation. Some of the main criticisms included:
- The consultation included no justification as to why the fee should be increased;
- It is wrong to seek to obtain more profit from the breakdown of a relationship;
- Such a high fee would discourage people from seeking a divorce, which may leave them trapped in an unhappy or abusive relationship;
- Many would find themselves unable to pay the fee; and
- As more women file divorce petitions than men, it would be discriminatory.
If you wish to receive advice about filing for a divorce, please contact us and we will be glad to talk you through the process.